Military Discounts Local Info & Discounts Air Force Army Coast Guard Marine Corps Navy Moving Tools Military Education Center Military Travel Center Find Military Answers

 Installation Search

5/14/2008 - WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- Airmen may now automatically receive full replacement value protection from the moving company on damage their household goods might incur during a move, Air Force officials announced May 14.

Household good pick-ups after March 1 will receive full-replacement-value protection from the moving company or carrier, said Lt. Col. Eric Bee at the Air Force Claims Service Center.

"It isn't quite the same as getting all new stuff in every instance when your household goods are damaged by a carrier," Colonel Bee said. "Carriers will replace missing items with new items, pay the full cost to replace them or repair damaged items."

This important benefit for Airmen comes with some changes to the process. For example, in most cases, Airmen actually file directly with the carrier or moving company. This claim must be made within nine months of delivery.

"That's a big change from the two years that most Airmen are used to," said J.D. Reese, CSC operations division chief. "Airmen can still file a claim with the AFCSC but they'll only be paid the depreciated value of damaged or lost goods. Likewise, if an Airman misses the nine month deadline, (he or she) can still file a claim up to the two year point with the AFCSC for the depreciated value of (the) items. Finally, if you're unhappy with what the carrier offers you, you still have the option of coming to the Air Force and filing with the AFCSC."

Although the timeline for filing a full replacement value claim is shorter, claims are much easier to file, Mr. Reese said.

"Airmen are no longer required to get estimates of repair, a very time consuming part of the old claims process," he said. "Now carriers are required to obtain the repair estimates. Carriers also don't require as much detail about the items because they no longer have to calculate depreciation."

Additionally, effective May 15, Airmen and civilians being moved by the Air Force can now file a DD Form 1840R online at the restricted Air Force Electronic Claim Filing Web site.

"Filing a DD Form 1840R on-line is not filing your claim," Colonel Bee said. "It's simply putting your carrier on notice that you've noticed additional loss or damage since delivery, but within 70 days. You'll still need to file your claim with the carrier within nine months."

If Airmen want to recover money for lost or damaged goods, they must notify both the carrier and file a claim within the required time frame, the colonel added. 

"We're here to answer questions from Airmen about their claims," Colonel Bee said. "There is never any long voice mail menu - just press 1 to talk to an expert."

To file a claim against the Air Force under the old system, Airmen can still file their claims at the Air Force Electronic Claim Filing Web site.

For more information, call DSN 986-8044 or (877) 754-1212.

Proud Sponsors

My Account

Social Media
* Share This Article  
* The appearance of hyperlinks to other sites does not constitute endorsement by of that site or the information, products or services contained therein.

Military Tools